Spicy Sichuan-Style Prawns - World Food Cuisines
- 1½ tbsp groundnut oil
- 2cm piece ginger, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 450g raw prawns, shelled and de-veined
For the sauce:
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 3 tsp chilli bean sauce
- 2 tsp Chinese black vinegar or cider vinegar
- 2 tsp golden caster sugar
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- handful coriander leaves, to serve
- sliced spring onion, to serve
- Heat a wok over a high heat. Add the groundnut oil and, when it is very hot and slightly smoking, add the ginger, garlic and spring onions. Stir-fry for 20 secs, then add the prawns. Stir-fry for about 1 min, then add all the sauce ingredients, along with ½ tsp salt and ½ tsp ground black pepper. Continue to stir-fry for another 3 mins over a high heat. Serve at once, scattered with the coriander and spring onion.
- Stir-fry shellfish with a spicy tomato, ginger and chilli bean sauce for a classic Chinese seafood dish.